Technology boost for DAF Rapido
The Rapido service information system will be replaced by RMI
ServiceXpert Gesellschaft für Service-Informationssysteme mbH has been cooperated with the Dutch commercial vehicle manufacturer DAF Trucks N.V. in Eindhoven for about 25-year. The web-based, integrated parts and service information system Rapido was developed and continuously expanded. In the early years, the information was provided in a CD / DVD-based version and continuously optimized to a web-based version in the 25 years.
The system mainly consists of two applications that provide vehicle-specific service information which is automatically updated on a daily basis:
- PartsRapido is the electronic spare parts catalogue from DAF Trucks, through which spare parts and special tools can be researched and ordered and with which the long-term cooperation began.
- ServiceRapido supports the technician with service information and service documentation based on XML technology such as the configuration of a vehicle, repair and maintenance methods including labor times, relevant technical documentation such as repair and maintenance instructions and interactive electrical schematic diagrams, which are displayed in a separate software component, the ESV - Electrical Schematics Viewer.
In 2015, DAF Trucks engaged ServiceXpert to develop the replacement system DAF RMI. The RMI (Repair & Maintenance Information) requirement was requested by the European Union and was introduced with the Euro VI standard. RMI requires that all repair & maintenance information that is available for the DAF dealer organization must also be made available to independent dealers. Further RMI requirements were:
- Access to RMI via a standard navigation page (via the DAF portal)
- New GUI development according to state-of-the-art and thus merging the two applications PartsRapido and ServiceRapido into one web application
- Intuitive search for repair & maintenance information (like Google search)
- Make RMI available through web services
After the development and go live of RMI, both systems - Rapido and RMI - were available to the DAF dealer organization in a long-term pilot phase. After the new development and final integration of the Diagnostic Assistant - for efficient identification and elimination of vehicle failures - only the new RMI has been available to users as the only service information system from DAF Trucks since the beginning of 2020.
Rapido was eliminated from the market after 25 years of usage by the DAF dealer organisation.
Age Knossen, long-time main contact for ServiceXpert at DAF Trucks, says: "In the long, intensive cooperation in which we developed Rapido and have now upgraded the new RMI from a technological perspective, the inventiveness and passion for technology of the ServiceXpert team has always been a driving force."
ServiceXpert, an ESG-Group company, employs over 85 staff in Hamburg and Munich. ServiceXpert is a Europe-wide operating system and software house with a focused service portfolio for Lifecycle management of EE information for leading manufacturers of commercial vehicle and their supplier industry.